Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Irish Lingo

I don't know whether it is the realization that my time in Ireland is quickly coming to an end, or in fact if today was a bit out of the ordinary, but I could not help but notice the abundance of new (and familiar) phrases coming my way today. I was sent looking for "plasters" (band aids) and was met with an energetic "cheers" (thanks!) on my return. I realized the physio had her hair "plaited" (braided) and a fortnight is two weeks time. Things were a "wee" bit better after a spurt of cleaning this afternoon and my American accent continues to sell me out to all of the children. Whether or not I'm still listening through rose tinted ears does not matter, I still consider the Irish culture to be a very positive and energetic one, and that is due in large part to their language. The work day was another positive one, and with the sun still shining the commute to and from Sandymount was easy.

After work and a quick grocery run, I did my best to focus and write my paper before our Irish dance lesson. Week two was just as much fun. This time, Molly was my partner, and we did our best to swing despite our slightly significant height difference, a fact which made us both laugh. I left with my head spinning and the music still in my head, a sign of a successful evening. We conquered two of the four parts of the set, and I'm looking forward to learning the rest so I can show off my complete set of skills!

1 comment: