Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Count to Ten?

This afternoon at work, I learned a new skill: how to count to ten in Gaelic. During a therapy session, I was able to spend time with a very sweet little girl. She is in preschool and attends an Irish school, meaning she is fully immersed in the Irish language. She was able to spout off each number and giggled at the fact that I had not tackled this simple task. When asked, "how old are you?" I of course quickly replied, "twenty one and I still can't count to ten." The question was intended for the little girl, and everyone laughed as I realized this. I've decided I better start memorizing so I can compete with these brilliant children.

Here is the task at hand...

1 a haon
2 a dó
3 a trí
4 a ceathair
5 a cúig
6 a sé
7 a seacht
8 a hocht
9 a naoi
10 a deich

While keeping on the language topic, I was introduced to a new form of sign language. Referred to as Lámh, this manual sign system was designed in Ireland for children with intellectual disabilities. I watched an interaction between a mother and her son, and was amazed at how different the signs were from American Sign Language. I recognized a couple, but for the most part, it is a totally new language which interests me to learn more.

After work, I went to the Tesco on the bus route home determined to find ingredients for a salad. Now, I have been eating vegetables while I have been here, but never a salad. That is just not a big popular meal here, and I have given into that and have missed this wonderful treat! It was a success and after a quick preparation, here is my delicious concoction of the evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment