Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"Let's Be Brilliant"

A quote from my Music teacher tonight, I thought it was an appropriate description of the day. I'll back up for now, and finish up with a description of my favorite class thus far.

This morning, in my Contemporary Irish Society class, we continued to talk about the presence of the Catholic church in Ireland and the changes it has undergone throughout history. Although Ireland is a predominately Christian country, I felt the lecture was delivered through slightly opinionated views, most of which were very different than I have heard in the past. Hard to describe in this short post, but it really had me thinking about what I had heard as I walked out the doors.

On Tuesdays, I have a long break in the afternoon before my Arts in Ireland class at 5:00. My afternoon was filled with the grocery store, gym and reading for class. On the way to the store, I detoured a bit and decided to take some pictures of DCU's campus.

The entrance to the campus from Ballymun Road.


The long entrance way into central campus.


This building is a combination between the gym and my apartment. The gym is on the left, and the apartment is on the right. I live on the fifth floor! (In Ireland, however, the first floor is always the ground floor.)


The soccer fields looked nice and are usually filled with different sports teams.


The Hub has a restaurant/bar called NuBar and other rooms for meetings. It has an entrance on both sides and is a common thoroughfare for students between classes.


Albert College park is a beautiful park located right next to the campus. It has walking trails, tennis courts, playgrounds and large open fields.

Tonight during class we continued to perfect our musical talents on both the Bodrahn and the Irish flute. We seemed to have moved past the trivial introductory lessons and are now spending time on technique. At the end of class, our teacher played for us and we were all stunned at how well it sounded. Realizing we have a long way to go, the performance served as motivation to practice and show off our skills next week.

1 comment: