I'll do my best to summarize what has happened since I arrived...
On Friday, we were told to meet our orientation leader down in Dublin City, at the Irish writers center. The place was fascinating, they gave us free coffee and led us upstairs to a bright orange room where we were given instructions for our scavenger hunt around Dublin. In groups of eight, we had just less than two hours to search the city for different landmarks. Pictures will follow of some of the landmarks we located, with more information to come once I properly do my research.
This is the Spire in the City Center, a common meeting place for Dubliners.
Members of my group debating our next move. You can see we were all a bit distracted by our picture taking!
I believe this is the Ha' Penny Bridge, named for the price once needed to cross the River Liffey.
The day was a blast. I had a wonderful time walking around and getting a feel for such a unique and exciting city. The people were incredibly friendly, taking time to help us find our next destination. It was a neat opportunity to meet other people in the program. After our hunt, a few of us stayed around Dublin and went grocery shopping. As a side note, I've noticed that many stores are a combination between clothing and food. We went to Dunnes which was a three story department store with a grocery store in the basement. I'm curious as to how this layout started, but I found it interesting.
We ended our adventure with the absolute best hot chocolate I have ever tasted. The place was called Butlers Chocolate Cafe, and the hot chocolate came with a delicious piece of chocolate
That night we went to a pub called "Maguires" where I had my first Guinness. It was a pleasant surprise and I found that I actually enjoyed the taste. Alright, enough of that for now, more to come later!
No comments:
Post a Comment