Monday, January 25, 2010

Newgrange

We had a very eventful day today. After a trip to the gym, Meghan and I cooked a chicken (a full chicken!) and potatoes in an effort to be economical. Although we had a little trouble determining the proper cooking time, in the end the chicken was delicious and we now have leftovers for the week!

For our History of Ireland Class we went on a field trip to Newgrange. This 5000 year old passage tomb is part of the Bru na Boinne complex in County Meath. We were told the tomb was built to celebrate life even though it houses remains of the dead. On the winter solstice, winners from a lottery system travel from miles away to see the light of the sun enter the entrance of the tomb through the window above the door. We were split into two groups and had the opportunity to enter the slightly claustrophobic entrance way into one of three main inner chambers. The inner chamber was formed in the shape of a cross and we were able to examine the ancient decorative designs on the rocks. Unfortunately photographs were not allowed inside the tomb, but as we stood in a small circle and looked upward, we were all amazed at the practicality of their architecture. Parts of the entrance way have been restructured over time, but the inner chambers have remained intact. Five thousand years and still standing strong; something must have been done right.


I believe this is the River Boyne.


Casey and I on our walk to the shuttle bus.


The outside of Newgrange.


Group shot in front of the entrance.


I absolutely loved the view. The photos here do not do it justice, but will give you a glimpse of the beautiful Irish countryside.


Exploring the grounds.

After our excursion, we boarded the bus and continued watching "PS I Love You," a romantic flick set in the heart of Ireland filled with both Irish scenery and wonderful Irish accents. It was fun to see the countryside both on the screen and through our bus window.

Meghan and I shared a delicious chicken dinner with roasted potatoes. After, we had group practice with our Bodhran and Irish flutes down on the third floor. We had a lot of fun showing off our musical talents and overall I would say it was a successful practice and a very fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment