The 40 hour workweek (or should I say 28 hour work week plus class) has started up in full force, making life here in Dublin much busier than it sounds. Halfway through week two of my internship with Enable Ireland, I am bracing myself for the rest of the time to fly by at the blink of the eye. I am doing my best to really enjoy each day I am there, and after only a short time I am finding that it is very easy to do.
My work day is 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Add in about an hour to an hour and a half commute each way and the day is quickly filled. I cannot complain and actually have begun to enjoy my travel time. I take a bus into the city center and then walk about 10 minutes to the nearest DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) station to take the train to Sandymount. After that it's only about a 10 minute walk and I have arrived. I feel an air of professionalism as I grab my free newspaper and jump on the train with the rest of the workforce. I am enjoying the experience, knowing it is only for seven weeks, but I am nowhere ready to do this for a living yet.
During my seven hours at Enable Ireland each day, I have been kept very busy. I have the opportunity to participate in many different therapy sessions and am enjoying getting to know the children. Some have asked me where I am from, realizing that I have a "weird" accent, while others are starting to smile as they recognize that I am a familiar face. I am learning something new each session and am finding I enjoy this type of setting more that I had anticipated.
The day is filled with wonderful breaks. From 11:00 to 11:30 everyone takes a tea break. It is magnicifent and is often filled with some kind of chocolate and fun conversation. Our lunch break is 1:30 to 2:00 and once again, everyone has been very friendly in including me in the mix. I feel very blessed by the entire situation.
After work today, I joined four of my colleagues on their weekly tennis outing. One of the therapists brought an extra racket, and we had a great time! I already feel very comfortable with everyone. I'm not sure whether this is a result of the laid back style of work, or the fact that the class system within the work place is less defined, yet regardless I am adjusting quite quickly and am very thankful.
It is off to bed for me. The 6:30am alarm clock is on its way!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment