Because of the approaching Easter holidays, the children in Sandymount school have off for two weeks! I could not believe this fact when I heard the news. They run on a trimester sort of schedule, so after Easter holiday, they will start their third segment of schooling. I was fortunate enough to be kept busy and very involved all day through a program set in place by the CoSMo group I had mentioned earlier. CoSMo stands for Coordination, Sensory and Motor impairment, and this program was designed specifically for that purpose.
The Alert program held today is designed to help the children learn more productive and efficient ways of controlling their level of alertness. The comparison of the day was that the children's body is like a car engine, and appropriate speeds are necessary for different times of the day. We did different activities to engage the senses so they could decipher which activities they preferred. It was my first time in this type of classroom situation, and I found that I have a lot to learn regarding proper ways to handle emotions and excitement. The day flew by very quickly, and we had a nice lunch where I was able to learn more about the Irish schooling system. The kids were very sweet and helped fill me in as much as they could.
The rest of the night will consist of paper writing and getting organized for another busy day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment