Another work day gone in the blink of an eye. Today, my focus was with occupational therapy where I was introduced to a program called Cosmo. Within three group sessions and one individual session, I was introduced to many ways to help tackle different sensory and motor difficulties that children may have. The day was filled with different activities including scooter boards, trapeze swings, and handwriting games. The whole idea of strengthening proprioception skills is fairly new to me, and I was very grateful to have the opportunity to discuss the program with my supervisor when the day was over.
I'm quickly realizing that working with children means there will never be a dull moment. Today I had a little boy correct me on my spelling of "color," insisting that there was a "u" in the word. Just a small example proving you never know what will come next.
Subtle aspects of culture differences still make me smile. Phrases such as "lad" or "good man" (used mainly instead of good job), are starting to grow familiar, just as I am no longer surprised to hear seven or eight year olds say "pardon?" It is a familiar sight to see children in all fashions of Catholic school uniforms, displaying the names of all the saints and insisting on removing their "jumpers" (sweaters, sweatshirts) before their therapy.
I will try to write something small each day after work in an attempt to capture the small details which are making this experience so unique. I'm done for now however because I have a special visitor! Catherine has arrived in Dublin and will be here until Sunday. I will update after she leaves to describe our adventures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment