Monday, February 15, 2010

Liquid Sunshine

After an absolutely beautiful weekend in the sunshine, I woke up this morning to the familiar Dublin rain. During a historical walking tour of Dublin city center, my teacher told me in a slight giggle that they like to call this weather "liquid sunshine." I enjoyed the thought of it and may start looking at this rain in a positive way. Our incredibly quirky tour guide pointed out some of the historical landmarks around Dublin that coincided with our history curriculum. We even saw bullet holes in some of the buildings from the 1916 Easter Rebellion. Pretty crazy!

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful and mainly consisted of writing a history paper. I did find quite the deal at the outdoor market down in Dublin: 12 apples for 2 Euro. (Considering I had seen apples priced at .50 Euro, this was quite exciting for me).

One more thing regarding Southern Ireland that I forgot to mention. During our Gaelic lesson on the bus this weekend Caroline started on a Gaelic rant without first mentioning what she was saying. Once finished, she told us that she had just recited the "Our Father" in Gaelic. Although completely unsure of the correct pronunciation, I wanted to include it here because I really liked how it sounded.

Ár n-Athair atá ar neamh,
Go naofar d'ainim,
Go dtagfadh do ríocht,
Go ndéantar do thoil ar an talamh mar a dhéantar ar neamh.
Ár n-arán laethúil tabhair dúinn inniu,
agus maith dúinn ár bhfiacha
mar a mhaithimidne dár bhféichiúna féin
Ach ná lig sinn i gcathú,
ach saor sinn ó olc,
Amen.

More to come tomorrow! For now, its goodnight from Dublin.

No comments:

Post a Comment